- 2 cups sliced onion
- 1-1/2 cups Cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 Tablespoons bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups winter squash, (cooked and mashed)
- 2-1/2 cups apples (thinly sliced)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon flour
Saute’ onion and thyme in oil for about 20 min unitil onion is soft and golden.
Meanwhile, toss apples and flour. In a separate bowl, mix cheese and bread crumbs.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil a casserole/ baking dish-approx. 8x8x3” and layer the ingredients as follows: Squash, salt and pepper, onions, apple slices, a bit more salt and pepper, cheese/bread crumb mixture.
Bake covered for 30 minutes then uncovered for 15 minutes more. The apples should be tender and the topping bubbly and golden.
Recipe from Jan Libbey, One Step at a Time Farm...originally from The Moosewood Restaurant Kitchen Garden cookbook.
She shares this recipe with her CSA members and also the DonnaLonna Kitchen Show.