This recipe takes time. Read the whole recipe first!
- 2-1/2 cups rice flour (and a bit more for kneading)
- 5 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup rosewater
- 1 cup unsalted melted butter
- 1 Tablespoon cardamom
- poppy seeds for garnish
- Spread all the rice flour on a tray in a warm oven to dry for about 1 hour.
- Beat eggs, sugar, rosewater, and butter until creamy.
- Add the rice flour and cardamom. Stir and knead on floured surface until dough holds together. Don’t add too much extra flour. Dough is rich, yellow and heavy with butter and egg. Cover dough with damp towel and let sit for at least 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Prepare parchment paper/ on cookie sheet...Roll small balls of dough, put on cookie sheet, press with fork tines to flatten slightly. Garnish with poppy seeds.
- Bake for 15 or 20 minutes. NOTE: Don’t over-bake. Cool on rack.
These delicate cookies store well and are even better the next day.
Recipe from Lonna’s recipe box