For this recipe you will need two special Madeleine cookie pans but once you have the pans you will use it frequently because these cookies are charmingly easy to make.
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 lemons, grated zest of
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 12 tbsp. melted butter, cooled
- Place the buttered and floured madeleine pans in the refrigerator.
- 2 lemonsMix together the flour and salt in a bowl.
- 2 lemonsIn a mixer’s bowl, mix together the sugar and lemon zest with your finger.
- Add the eggs and mix at medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until think and pale yellow
- Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Fold in the flour followed by the melted butter.
- Place batter into the prepared and chilled pans, about 1 tbsp. per madeleine.
- Refrigerate the pans and any remaining batter for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Bake the Madeleines for 8 minutes, then immediately tip them out of the pan onto a rack. Makes 24 Madeleines.
Alternately, the batter and prepared pans can be made even a day in advance, stored in the fridge and baked off just before serving. Delicious warm, right out of the oven.
A note from Donna: This recipe is based on the recipe of Susan Hermann Loomis from her fine book, Cooking at Home at Rue Tatin.