- Toast or steam 5 medium beets
- Large dice and lightly sautée one red onion in 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Peel beets, cube, add cooked onion, 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 or more Tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside
- Toast and peel ½ cup hazelnuts, pound nuts into a coarse rubble
Mix the nuts with:
- 2 Tbsp smashed sesame seeds
- 1 clove of raw garlic, smashed to a paste
- Scant tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper
To serve, re-season the beets (if in need of more vinegar).
Add fresh, chopped chives for color and sprinkle the salad with the hazelnut mixture.
Recipe from Donna Prizgintas