The program starts with an interview about learning Arabic in Ames High School, as six seniors graduate with four years of Arabic study under their belts. We talk with a graduating senior Ania Chamberlin and her teacher Daniel Klass.
The Islamic month of fasting, or Ramadan, falls in June and July this year, so we interview two members of the congregation of the Ames Mosque, the Darul Arqum Islamic Center, about Islam, Ramadan, and the festival of Eid that follows Ramadan. Hear the history of the Darul Aqum Center, the role of women in Islam, and the practicalities of fasting, and of feasting after Ramadan.
- Daniel Klass, teacher of Arabic and Social Studies at Ames High School
- Ania Chamberlin, graduating senior at Ames High School
- Riad Mahayni former member of Ames City Council and former head of the Planning and Zoning Commission
- Salahudin Syed, board member of the Darul Aqum Islamic Center in Ames
- Nermin Sabry, principal of the Islamic School at the Darul Aqum Islamic Center
Music Credit: "Ramadan" by Maher Zair
Online Information Sources:
- Darul Arqum Islamic Center
Originally broadcast 06/15/2015
Listen here now